Friday, May 6, 2011

Anandamaya means not a derivative from Bliss BUT Abundance of Bliss

I.1.13
विकारश्ब्दान्नेति चेत् न प्राचुर्यात् | 
vikArashbdAnneti chet na prAchuryAt
Anandamaya does not mean a modication or transformation or product of bliss but rather refers to Abundance of bliss as denoted by the suffix maya

Vikarashbdat(विकारश्ब्दात्): From the word "Anandamaya" with the suffix "Mayat" denoting modification; Na(न): is not; iti(इति): this, thus; Chet(चेत्): if; Na(न): Not so; Prachuryat(प्राचुर्यात्): because of abundance;

Commentary:
The word maya cannot mean modification because we cannot predicate such a modification to Brahman(God) who is changeless. Here Maya means abundance. Hence the word Anandamaya denotes the Brahman/Highest Self. 

Anandamaya does not mean the absence of pain or sorrow. It is a positive attribute of Brahman and not a mere negation of pain. Anandamaya means he whose essential nature is bliss. For e.g. Sun, whose essential nature is light is called Jyotirmaya. 

Background
Introduction - part1part2part3part4
Sutra - I.1.1I.1.2I.1.3I.1.4I.1.5I.1.6I.1.7I.1.8I.1.9I.1.10I.1.11, I.1.12

No comments:

Post a Comment