Monday, December 27, 2010

Brahman (the intelligent principle) is the first cause

Topic 5 (sutras 5 - 11) : Ikshatyadyadhikaranam [Ikshateh: on account of seeing; adhikaranam: section, topic, proposition]

I.1.5
ईक्षतेर्नाशब्दम् |
Ikshaternaashabdam
On account of seeing (i.e thinking being attributed in the Upanishads to the cause of the world; the pradhana*) is not (to be identified with the cause indicated by the Upanishads; for) it is not founded on Scripture

*Saankhya philosophy puts forth an argument that the first cause of this world is pradhana (matter) which is a non-intelligent entity

Ikshateh(ईक्षते): on account of seeing (thinking); Na(न): is not; Ashabdam(अशब्दम्): not based on the scriptures


Commentary:
This sutra is stating that the cause of the world can be attributed only to the intelligent principle called Brahman and no other entity


Background
Introduction - part1part2part3part4
Sutra - I.1.1I.1.2I.1.3, I.1.4

No comments:

Post a Comment